Data And Information : E-mail Archiving
The current state of e-mail
Today e-mail is such an integral part of our day to day lives. So much so, that the thought of being without it is inconceivable. This is realised nowhere more so than in the corporate environment. Despite the high development and vast spread of e-mail over previous years, it is still not without its problems. Viruses and SPAM being the main concerns, but a slightly more unlikely issue is that of storage space. Users have turned their mailboxes into electronic filing cabinets whereby everything is stored away into neat folder structures. Why do they do this? The obvious answer being “because it is easy”. Policing from IT Administrators is an obvious solution to the issue, but with the ever increasing integration between office systems, can we simply set black and white guidelines for how and where the e-mails are stored and for how long?
How can I combat these issues?
It’s all too easy for a user to scan read an e-mail using auto-preview, and then just file it away knowing it will be there for when they need to address it properly. The end result of this is a slowing mail server with mailboxes well over the optimum size. IT Administrators are limited by their tools to what they can do to fix these problems. The options that they are presented with are as follows:
1. Get users to manually prune their mailboxes – There is no sure fire way to accomplish this on a regular basis and users find it difficult to distinguish a mail that they need to keep from one that they don’t
2. Use Auto Archiving – Some mail clients, including Microsoft Outlook include an “auto archiving” feature which stores old e-mails into a local file, thus reducing the size of your “live” mailbox. This relatively primitive technology again moves the responsibility of e-mail archiving to the end user.
3. Use an enterprise archiving solution such as the Symantec Vault products (formerly VERITAS Enterprise Vault). This solution is by far the most manageable and it removes responsibility from the end user to the IT administration team.
Symantec Vault Products
The Symantec Vault products provide a flexible archiving framework for e-mail, file and web based content. The products enable discovery of content held within these formats, whilst helping to reduce storage costs and simplifying data management. The powerful search and discovery capabilities are complimented by powerful client applications for corporate governance, risk management and legal protection. Some of the key features include:
1. Automatic cradle-to-grave content lifecycle management for e-mail and other corporate data
2. Easy and rapid search and retrieval of content allows end-users to tap into organizational knowledge.
3. Storage optimization reduces message and information stores by 50 percent or more.
4. Ensures compliance with retention and discovery policies by acting as a secure repository for electronic information.
5. Reduces the cost of content retrieval, recovery, and administration.
6. Provides an “information warehouse” for corporate data that can be mined as a knowledge resource using built-in index and search technologies.
7. Seamless integration of archived e-mail with existing mail systems remaining transparent to the end user
What should I do next?
1. Decide what type of e-mail archiving solution is right for your business
2. Understand what you are trying to achieve from investing in an e-mail archiving solution
3. Consider how implementing an e-mail archiving solution will affect your users and what changes will need to be made by them.
If this post is use full for you please share the post with your friends.
Please follow as Facebook : www.facebook.com
Please follow as Twitter : www.twitter.com
And More Information Please Visit Here : www.weindians.in
Please Subscribe on YouTube : www.youtube.com
12 thoughts on “Data And Information : E-mail Archiving”
Excellent post. I was always checking this blog, and I’m impressed! Extremely useful info specially the last part, I care for such information a lot. I was exploring this particular info for a long time. Thanks to this blog my exploration has ended.
I was recommended this website by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my problem. You are amazing! Thanks!
We are a gaggle of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your web site provided us with helpful information to paintings on. You’ve performed a formidable job and our entire group can be thankful to you.
This particular is usually apparently essential and moreover outstanding truth along with for sure fair-minded and moreover admittedly useful My business is looking to find in advance designed for this specific useful stuffs…
I know this is one of the most meaningful information for me. And I’m animated reading your article. But should remark on some general things, the website style is perfect; the articles are great. Thanks for the ton of tangible and attainable help.
This is really interesting, You are a very skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your wonderful post. Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks!
A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post Putlocker
A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post.
Keep up the good work; I read few posts on this website, including I consider that your blog is fascinating and has sets of the fantastic piece of information. Thanks for your valuable efforts. 123Movies
Top site ,.. amazaing post ! Just keep the work on !
Wow! This could be one particular of the most helpful blogs We’ve ever arrive across on this subject. Actually Excellent. I am also an expert in this topic so I can understand your effort.